Wednesday 1 April 2009

My Ropey Sole


Right that's it! I was just outside, grappling with our wheelie bin when I started unconsciously swatting. And then I heard a light breezy buzz around my ear. And I panicked momentarily about tinnitus and then I realised, it's after 6 and it's still light outside and I should perhaps stop flailing my arms about because that buzzing is in fact MY FIRST BUMBLE BEE OF THE YEAR! Which makes it official. It's SUMMER. From now. And that means I can bring up these bad boys.

When the nights start getting longer and it seems like a vaguely realistic prospect that we might be able to start shedding (some) of our outer layers I always have a nostalgic pang for an espadrille. They embody the heady summer of 1995, when I spent my entire summer lolling about in my back garden (I think I even broke a bikini or two out you know, which considering last summer just seems reckless...but I digress).

I adore a rope soled excuse for a shoe. I mean, yeah, they come to whiff a bit by the close of the summer and I don't know anyone who has been successful in walking in a pair without them defaulting to an almost flip flop like state, but that's the devil with nostalgia isn't it? It cares not for detail and nor do I!

Is that the theme tune to Howard's Way that I can hear striking up?
(Image via Espadrilles Etc)

No comments: