Friday 6 March 2009

La Dolce Vita


I am usually not the biggest fan of Dolce & Gabbana. I think there is something so exaggeratedly feminine and sexy about their clothes that project an ideal of women that just isn't real, and few women even want for themselves. I feel that is true about quite a lot of Italian fashion. It makes me quite relieved to be English as it lets us be a little scruffy and deshabille but still stylish (well, some of us at any road!). Can you imagine how hideous it would be to always have to look put together and sexy and stylish and in heels? And then if everyone was like that, and the shops only sold gorgeous, classy items...? Goodness me! We would be quite out of a blog!
But I have to hand it to you, you know how to spot 'em, Hawk Eye! Those clothes are beautiful. They remind me quite strongly of some of the illustrations in Fashion Drawing in Vogue, which is a glorious book I would heartily recommend a peruse. There is something so elegant and timeless about the dresses, and sexy in a manageable way. And while I have been seriously considering a colour injection right into the very veins of my wardrobe, it does remind me how delicious black can be. I even like the sheer fabrics, which are usually my bĂȘte noir.
Oh, and I adore the crown dress! Let's write to Buck House and suggest dearest Queenie wears it for her next public appearance. It couldn't be more precious!

No comments: