Wednesday 25 August 2010

Take a Hike



One or two people have questioned me recently how I can reconcile the part of me that is obsessed with fashion, and this beloved (by me at least) blog, and my high standards of fashion judgement with the part of me that likes to hike in the mountains, totally happy not washing my hair for three weeks and wearing only technical fabrics.

And to be honest, I have no response. The heart wants what the heart wants and even while a mountain climbing fashion maven might be oxymoronic, that is just the way it is and the way it will stay.

Up until this point my two great loves have remained distinct, occuring only one or other at a time. (As I mentioned, technical fabrics. And while I love them, I would not suggest that they have too much to do with style. I try my best, but really there is only so much I can do.) But then the high heeled hiking boot happened.

When I first saw them I sneered the way only someone who wears actual hiking boots could. How dare someone try and combine hiking and fashion, it just isn't done. Who do they think they are kidding? Etc. But I have seen a few pairs and I really want them. Not sure what I would wear them with, but I think they might have to be mine. Am I utterly deluded? Should the two be kept apart? Should hiking boots only be flat and heeled boots not go hiking?

No comments: