Wednesday 18 May 2011

American English



I have to admit I am pretty slow on the uptake. Anthropologie has been on Regent Street for about a year and a half, and yet I've only just ventured in.



I'm not sure if I lack imagination for trying new things or if it's whimsical schtick just isn't my cup of tea.



It is the sister company of Urban Outfitters and it definitely has a similar feel with clothes and homewares. But while the homewares in Urban Outfitters always seemed a bit of an after thought here they are much better quality and more interesting.



Admittedly alot of the clothes are quite "ethnic" feeling. I for one am not interested in wearing a gathered, embroidered peasant blouse. But there are plenty of nice dresses that don't feel quite as country.



It is really a shop to explore. Take your time and discover all the interesting bits and bobs they have.



The fitting rooms are enormous and there is no limit on how many items you take in and the staff are properly helpful.



Plus, possibly my favourite thing... there is no time limit on returns. While so many shops seem to be limiting the returns period to 14 days or making it exchange or credit note only (yes, Reiss, I am talking to you) it is so nice to find a company that is bucking that trend. So well done them.



It does feel slightly gimmicky, as it always did with Urban Outfitters. But it does it so much better, so I think I can get used to that.



And they have a really interesting mix of little known designers that you would be hard pressed to find in many shops. The only thing I would say would be to turn down the national dress vibe and include a few more classics and they will have reached pretty close to perfection.


(Via Anthropologie)

Oh, so you might be wondering - did I succumb? Of course I did! I bought this. And very happy I am with it too.

No comments: