Monday 1 November 2010

Thou Shalt Not Kill


(Via Zadig & Voltaire)

I am intrigued by Zadig & Voltaire. It seems like a shop that is totally out of my league. It is achingly cool and Parisienne. It seems quite rock'n'roll. One thing that I rather suspect I am not.

And then they started using Alison Mossheart in their advertising. And that definitely appealed. That girl is so damn cool.

I was aware of the Kills (even before La Moss brought the media glare to bare down on them) but wasn't really much of a fan. But when I saw Alison on stage at Glastonbury (from the comfort of my front room, as I said, not very rock'n'roll) with the Dead Weather I got butterflies. I think she might almost be up there with Debbie Harry in terms of pure, hardcore charisma.



I mean look at her!

And boy, does getting the right person on your advertising have the desired effect (or maybe I'm just easily led). Coz it lead me to their website. Where this drove me away directly:

The brand introduces the new opus for its advertising campaign starring music duos. After Sean Lennon and Charlotte Kemp Muhl, Marc Ronson an Joséphine de la Baume, Zadig & Voltaire are now moving on to Alison Mosshart and Jamie Hince, alias The Kills. Since the release of their first album "keep on your mean side" in 2003, the singer and the guitarist have been playing their rock-style riffs throughout the independant music world. She is a pretty and cheeky brunette, he is a nonchalant and charismatic dandy. Together, the duo poses once again in front of the camera of Olivier Zham, artistic director of Purple Magazine in the Parisian gardens of parc Monceau. The result : a set of unique, poetic photos shots in black and white in which we get a glimpse of the sheer complexity of the Kills. With characters which combine rebellious, melancholic and playfull aspects, these Rock legends take over the brand's codes. Black blazer and skinny-fit denim jeans for him, military prints and officer-style jacket for her. to be continued...

Do you ever get the feeling that some things are better left unsaid? Or that a thousand words could destroy a good picture?

No comments: