Monday 14 October 2013

Smells Like Post-Teen Spirit

I bought a copy of Elle the other day. There was a model on it wearing a Nirvana t-shirt. The girl half my age behind the counter gasped "Oh my god, I love Nirvana!" You know, like she'd discovered them.

I'm sure she thought I was far too old and unhip to have even the slightest clue. I raised my eyebrows and said "Oh yeah?" noncommittally. Inside my head I was screaming "I was there! You weren't even born! This isn't your thing! It's my thing!"

Of course it isn't. I haven't listened to them in years and years. But I still feel very proprietorial. They were the first band that I felt that my very existence was linked to. You know, middle class girls at a convent school in the darkest reaches of middle class Sussex. Obvs. We knew what teen spirit smelled like in our own modest way. Seriously...

It was our first taste of obsession, and we had to make everything in our lives (or at least our wardrobes) demonstrate our allegiance. And the easiest way to do that was via the glory of the plaid shirt.

It brings to mind that scene in Clueless when Cher enquires "So this flannel shirt deal... Is that a nod to the crispy Seattle weather, or are you just trying to stay warm in front of the refrigerator?" We were just fortunate that our school (the prison on the hill, natch) was chilly enough to merit the toasty making qualities of a thick plaid shirt.

Now, I have no desire to start dressing like this, which is how the Nirvana/check shirt is showing its face this season.


I am an old person. I am not Cara Delevingne. I will definitely leave that to the yoof.


But there is something so super appealing about a check shirt for winter. Cosy and forgiving and a very slight tip of a head to the trend so you don't feel completely past it.

Here are some of my favourites. I would be tempted to wear them tucked into a mid-calf high waisted black pencil skirt, my Belstaff biker boots and a chunky cardigan. Bliss!

 A.P.C

 Jigsaw


 Wrangler

Zara


                              (Images via Lookbook, Flamingo Pink, Red, Jigsaw, Asos)

No comments: