Wednesday 19 December 2012

Across the Universe

 Argentina

Generally speaking I am not a huge fan of beauty pageants, but I am a fan of wild, outrageous, unfeasibly large costumes that are the embodiment of a whole nation's identity. Obviously.

And for that reason I bring you some of the contestants in the National Costume round at this year's Miss Universe competition.

Amazing, huh?!

This has truly made my day.

Except for when it comes to the UK's offering. A union jack bedecked super hero in plastic white knee boots? Is that our identity? I get it might be referencing the Olympics and all, but I also get that the costume sucks. Plus, it makes a perfectly slim and lovely lady look as though she is smuggling a football down her onesie. Not so flattering on the midriff, poor lady. It doesn't say too much for our cultural identity either. All I'm getting is Spice Girls and glamour models. There's got to be more to the UK than that...

 Botswana


 Brazil


 British Virgin Islands


Bulgaria


 Colombia


 Costa Rica


 Cyprus


 El Salvador


 France


 Honduras


 Indonesia


 Korea


 Mexico


 Panama


 Puerto Rico


 Sri Lanka


 Switzerland


 Thailand


 UK


 Ukraine


 USA


 Venezuela


Vietnam

(Images via The Daily Telegraph)

No comments: